Matt’s in Japan and raving about all the amazing food he’s eaten in the past few days, so I took inspiration from my envy and made an Asian marinade for some mackerel, and served it atop some stir-fried noodles with spinach and spring onions.
In the marinade was:
- about a tablespoon of dark soy
- about the same of rice vinegar
- about half a tablespoon of teriyaki sauce
- about 2cm piece of ginger, in thin matchsticks
- a clove of garlic, sliced and kind of julienned
- 2 birds eye chillis, seeds removed, finely sliced
I filleted a mackerel (bargainous, fresh mackerel: £3.24 from Steve Hatt, Essex Rd) and cut each fillet in two (greedy, me? yes!) and marinaded them for about an hour.
I cooked a block of egg noodles for 4 minutes, tossed them in a little sesame oil, and stir-fried some spinach and spring onions. Noodles then went in, along with the leftover marinade and the whole lot tossed about a bit. With the mackerel fillets on top, et voila! Asian spiced mackerel with spinach noodles.
And the verdict? It was pretty spicy (think 2 bird’s eyes is about my chilli limit!) and made quite a large portion (I was hungry!), so with two blocks of noodles, would be a great light dinner for two.